Saturday, October 9, 2010

Preterm Labor and Bed Rest

On September 20, I got up for work just like every other normal Monday. While I was getting ready for work, I just had this weird overall 'not good' feeling - can't really describe it any other way. For my entire commute, I debated over whether or not to call the doctor because I was having contractions, but figured it was just Braxton Hicks, however, I was feeling them very low with a lot of pressure. I ended up calling and decided that I would head home from the office when I heard back from the doctor. Well, given that it was a Monday morning and the doctor's office was two nurses short that day (all of this I did not find out until later), I did not hear back from them until 3:30. I had stayed at work this entire time, convincing myself that everything was fine, but I did notice that the contractions were a little more frequent.

The nurse that I talked to suggested that I come in to the office and they would hook me up to the monitor - but she seemed pretty convinced that they were not real and it was just my body practicing. I drove myself to the office in Clear Lake and they started monitoring. My first clue should have been when they first looked at the tape and said that the machine could not be right, so they were going to reset it. About 30 minutes later, the nurse came in and said, 'you're contracting every 2-3 minutes -- I'll get the doctor.' Of course, right then, I burst into tears - it was too soon! At this point, I was 34 weeks and 6 days - too soon! After the doctor came in and checked me, he decided to admit me to the hospital to try and stop the contractions with medication and hydration because I was not dilated or effaced yet (but I would be, if this continued). He seemed pretty confident that he could get them to stop, so I started to relax and feel better.

I drove myself to the hospital (right around the corner) and after receiving three injections in an hour, the contractions stopped. Kevin came to see me with clothes and dinner (yea, no hospital food!) and then went back home to be with Camryn - since the contractions had stopped and I was calm, I did not think it was necessary for him to stay. In the morning, my doctor came to see me and said that he'd like me to continue medicine and bed rest for two weeks, until I hit 37 weeks and Bubba would be considered full term. At that point, he said it was unknown whether the contractions would start up again as soon as I stop the medicine, or if it would take another few weeks. He sent me home with instructions of medication every 4 hours, rest and minimal activity.

So, flash forward to today: we are 37 weeks and 4 days and have been off the medication since Monday, October 4. I am still supposed to be resting, which is hard to argue with because I'm pretty uncomfortable (with the exception of being very frustrated in what I can do with Camryn, which makes me sad). I have been off work since I went to the hospital, which has been good and bad - there is some element of stress around not wrapping up everything as planned, but I'm learning to deal with it - this baby comes first.

We went to the doctor on Thursday and even though my body is starting to get ready (30% effaced, 2 cm dilated), he still thinks we have some time. He estimated that Bubba is about 6 1/2 pounds. We go back to the doctor on Friday, unless we go into labor before then!

I'll try to be better about updating the blog. I've been nervous about putting this all down because then it makes it real that I was in preterm labor. Now, I'll continue with my positive thoughts and prayers that we will have a healthy baby boy to hold sometime later this month!

No comments: