Sunday, August 8, 2010

Growing Up So Fast...



Time seems to move faster every day... and I'm sure it's not just me. Camryn is now a little person - full of personality, attitude, wants, needs, opinions, hilarity, smarts ... the list just goes on and on. I wonder if I'll continually think, "Now this is a great age" - since I've thought that about every new phase that she enters. Of course, there are parts of each phase that are not my favorite (she now likes to communicate in whines, we are trying so hard to stop!), but she is still so sweet and so fun.

She now has quite a vocabulary and she adds to it every day. Her use of sign language is dwindling - the last sign that she really held on to was the one for milk - but now she actually says milk (that was a family effort!). What is really surprising is sometimes the more difficult the word, the more perfect her pronunciation. For example, we were outside this morning watching Kevin clean the boat and she pointed down the street and said 'lawnmower' - clear as day, referring to our neighbor who was using a weed eater (I did not correct her, ha-ha). Compare that to yesterday, when she spent a good two minutes saying 'dirt' over and over again while I stood there saying, WHAT?!? She was saying 'shirt' (I often make her eat topless when she is eating something tomatoey or yogurty) and she was ready to put it back on. A little example of why I don't let her eat 'yogu' with a 'dirt' on:

She loves animals. One of the games we play is with her animal flashcards. We put them on the table and ask her to find an elephant, and she'll look through the cards usually saying, 'Don't know?' at least once, but still continuing to look until she finds it. Then, success! She smiles really big, makes the noise that the elephant makes (or tries to), and then shows us. Big time fun at the Conway house. :)

When she refers to animals, she often uses the sounds they make instead of the name. For example, Guskitty is known as 'mow' (said like now, with an m). She knows that she's a cat, but she won't call her a cat. Dog is pretty much the only exception - she'll say 'woof-woof', but then she'll say dog after it. She also calls Otis "O" now, which is cute. For animals that do not make a sound, like a turtle, she uses their real name.

We have been trying to help her use the animal name instead of the sound. A conversation that she and Kevin had a few weeks ago went something like this:

Camryn (pointing to a rabbit in the yard, they are all over our neighborhood): Hop-hop!
Daddy: Yes, that's a bunny rabbit. Can you say bunny?
Camryn: Hop-hop!
Daddy: Say bunny. Can you say bun?
Camryn: bun!
Daddy: knee
Camryn: knee!
Daddy: Bunny!
Camryn: Hop-hop!

So, who do you think won? :)

She is toying with the idea of potty training. We bought her a little potty a few months ago - she likes to sit on it and pretend (she now wants toilet paper and practices wiping, which is hilarious), but no real action yet. She does tell us when she has to go 'poo-poo' - and a few times I've taken her to the potty and she just sits there petrified with big eyes for a little while (as if wondering, how am I supposed to go poo-poo with no diaper on?!?). I don't want to scare her, so I'm not going to push it. I am sure we will have more of an urgency to potty train when the little man gets here and we have two in diapers (keep us in your thoughts), but I really do want her to go at her own pace. Bryleigh let her borrow "Elmo's Potty Time" (since she's obsessed with all things Elmo, see below) - we've watched it a few times, but I'm not sure she gets what we're trying to help her understand.

Speaking of potty, she is noticing differences between boys and girls. This will probably only increase once the baby gets here - since he won't have the same parts that she has. We are taking suggestions on what to call his, if you'd like to submit one, email me!

Camryn loves Elmo. I really don't understand how all kids can LOVE Elmo - what is it about him? She really only has two things that she watches on TV (Elmo and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse) and she either points to the TV and says "Elmo?" or "Hot-dog!" (referring to the hot-dog dance, which might be from the catchiest song ever! I know, I'm sad). I'm not sure about Kevin, but I definitely prefer Mickey Mouse, so I will tell her that Elmo is night-night. Well, she was driving Kevin crazy one day saying "Elmo - night night?" (questioning voice, over and over again) and he finally told her that Elmo was on vacation - on the moon, gonna be gone for awhile. So then the other day she tells me, "Elmo - moon?" ha-ha. Hopefully she won't go to school and tell her friends that Elmo is on the moon. Bad Daddy.

And now, some pictures:

Cute picture of CC, Daddy and Otis:
Cute picture of CC with her crocs on - ready for school!

And now, the funny video. The other night at dinner, Camryn (sitting in her big girl chair at the table! Highchairs are for babies!) was politely telling Kevin 'no more food father'. Actually, it came out something like, 'no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no' - with her vigorously shaking her head and messing up her face. So, I try to nonchalantly (very unsuccessfully, I might add) to take a video of it. (Kevin and I are finding it increasingly difficult to not laugh at her behavior - since she knows when we think something is funny - he is better at it than me, go figure!) So, I tried a few times to video tape her telling him no, but this is what I got instead: (if you can't tell, the scrunchy face she's making is a smile)



No comments: