Monday, January 19, 2009

Two Months Old!


We'll start off this blog entry with a video. Camryn tends to be most talkative and happy in the morning before and after her breakfast. This is from Tuesday morning, and since Wednesday she was 2 months old, we're just going to call this her two months video: (if you turn the sound up, you can hear her talking too)

And now, for our week. On Monday we met Todd and Brooke for lunch at Terlingua. It was great to see them (I miss seeing them everyday) and Camryn let Bro hold her for most of the lunch (until she was hungry and I had the bottle) and she smiled and stared at Todd. Only later did I realize that she must have been flirting with him! Hilarious!

Tuesday we received some sad and unexpected news: Kevin's Grandpa George passed away that morning in his home in Kingsland, TX. We were just so thankful that he was able to see Camryn a few times before he left us - here is a picture of him holding her when he was in town for Thanksgiving. She was brand new then - and he was so proud of his greatgrandbaby!

Wednesday was Camryn's 2 Month Birthday. We celebrated by getting up early, heading out into the cold and getting a checkup and shots! (poor baby!)

For her checkup, Dr Twining said everything looks good. He noted again that she was an assertive baby (not sure if this is good or bad), but I'll take assertive if it means healthy too!

At this appointment:
Weight: 10 pounds, 10 oz -- 50th percentile
Length: 22 1/2 inches -- 50th percentile *
Head: 40 cm -- 75th percentile

(*they had told us that she was 22 1/2 at 2 weeks, which was not correct. So now we're not really sure what she was at 2 weeks old - somewhere between 20 1/2 and 22 1/2...)

This was my first appointment to take her on my own - and I was certain that I would be emotional about her shots - but we did ok! CC cried almost immediately from the first needle, but the nurse was so fast - it was over before her first wail even ended! She continued to cry until we were on the road, but soon after that, she fell asleep.

We picked up her Great-Grandma Lo on the way home and she spent a few hours with us - it was so nice to hang out with her and I was glad to have an extra set of hands in case Camryn was fussy after the shots. The only thing I noticed was that she slept a little more during the day but wasn't really fussy. So thankful, considering the night before had been the roughest night we've had so far - and I was all by my lonesome! I won't go into too many details, but it involved her crying until 2 am. So, waking her up early to head to the doctor (to get shots, no less), you can understand that I was a little hesitant about the day that lay ahead. But she was very mellow - maybe because she was so exhausted from screaming her head off all night, maybe from the shots, who knows.

Here is a picture of our exhausted little girl that afternoon:

Kevin flew home a day early from his business trip so that we could head up to Austin to be with his parents for Grandpa George's visitation and service. I was a little nervous about our first road trip with Camryn, but she did just great! We had the car packed - and everything except one bag was all for her! Amazing how much stuff the little ones need!

We spent Friday and Saturday in Austin with family. Some of Buddy's side of the family had not met Camryn, so it was nice for them to meet and for us to see them - it had been a long time. Kevin's Great-Aunt Shirley made me a little teary eyed when she was talking to Buddy about how Camryn will fill a void in him left by those that have gone on before. It's so true - and amazing how one little life can make you feel ok again! Grandpa George will be missed - he was such a good man - but it's nice to think that he's reunited with Grandma Joy now!

CC did great with the houseful of people and sleeping in a new place - especially for a baby (who so far anyway) seems to be pretty selective of who she'll go to and needs her independent quiet time.

Also, while we were gone, we left the dogs at home alone for the first time EVER - and amazingly enough, Otis was a good boy! (Or, we just haven't found what he's done!)

We had a quiet end to the weekend - Kevin golfed on Sunday and then when he got home I finally did something about my hair - chopped it off to be exact. Yea! Here is a picture of Cam hanging with her Daddy before I left -


Camryn's Firsts for the Week:
  • First time to be away from her Daddy for more than a few hours - she missed him!
  • First round of immunizations
  • First roadtrip to Kingsland TX (outside of Austin)
  • First time to sleep in a new place (thank goodness for the pack and play!)
She is holding her head up on her own a lot now - Kevin noticed a change just between Sunday and Friday while he was gone. It's exciting to see her grow and develop! It's amazing to compare the video from 2 months in this post to the video from 1 month in the post from December.

And now, the fun picture of the week:
Again, it's Otis. Kevin installed a new door before he left for his business trip on Sunday (I know, he's quite handy) and also installed a new doggy door. This one has a clearer plastic flap, resulting in it almost being a little window that the dogs can see out of. O spends a good part of the daytime guarding our yard (from birds, people walking on the street behind, bunnies, etc). With this new door, he doesn't have to go all the way outside - he just sits inside and watches from there - and then can blast out the door and pounce on what he's found. Pretty much all week if I couldn't find O, I would check the back door and this is what I would see:


He's too cute.

More next week!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jess, she is so precious...I can't wait to meet her!

Perry

Candace said...

I love the video! And the pictures of Otis are hilarious!!

ginngilaina said...

oooh...Kingsland. I have some family there.

-Ginny

Allie said...

Jess, cannot wait to see her again! SHe is really growing so quickly. Looks like mommy-hood is just perfect for you! Isn't it amazing...even the bad days are good days!